Online jobs in Kenya can offer you the chance to work from home while providing an income for yourself and your family.
I know you may have heard about people doing this type of work, be it a friend or relative; someone always works online in Kenya.
This article will show you how to get started with online jobs in Kenya and the types of opportunities available on the internet.
Types of Online Jobs in Kenya
There are three major broad categories of online jobs in Kenya:
- Freelancing Online: includes; writing, web design, Data entry, Online surveys, Transcribing, Virtual assistance, and so many more.
- Internet Marketing where you can set up your private practice and offer services such as website development, social media marketing, or search engine optimization (SEO)
- Selling Online (e-commerce) through a marketplace like Jumia, Amazon, or your online stores.
So my article will break down the above three major categories to help you find online jobs in Kenya.
How do I get started with online work in Kenya?
You might be confused about where to start or what online jobs in Kenya might suit you. Don’t worry, and you are not alone. All these people you know or hear working online started somewhere, and I will give you a tip on where to start.
No matter what kind of online job you choose, there are some things you should remember to be successful.
- Working online is a job – It’s difficult to make money on the web because you’re going to have to work just like some employed people.
- Online jobs are for entrepreneurs –To succeed at online jobs in Kenya, you must have entrepreneurial ambition. If you’re thinking of taking an online job as a side hustle, think again.
- Take time to learn – Even if you have a Ph.D., you should take the time to learn about online jobs. Many courses will help you.
- Discipline – To succeed in making money online, you need discipline and patience.
- Quality – Without a doubt, the reliability of these jobs will depend on how clients respond to your work. Good feedback might lead clients to continue using your services; poor feedback may lack clients.
Now that you know what you need let’s go directly to the types of online jobs available.
List of online jobs in Kenya
Here is a list of online jobs available to Kenyans.
Freelance Jobs in Kenya
1. Writing Jobs online in Kenya
One of the best freelance jobs in Kenya, especially those with English or literature qualifications, is writing online. You can do this from anywhere, and many websites will pay you per word written for them. You do not need any qualifications but should have excellent writing skills.
Writing jobs online are classified in many categories, but the most common for Kenyans is, Article writing on Freelancing websites and Academic Writing.
Where to find Article writing Jobs Online:
Article writing online jobs are available on freelancing websites. These websites connect the employer and online workers, matching up those who need content with writers offering their services through an online platform for a fee.
Where to Find Academic Writing jobs online:
Academic online jobs are available on specific freelance websites, and most of the work that employers offer involves writing papers, articles, or essays for them.
Some of the online jobs websites in Kenya include:
- Essay Writers
- Essay Shark
- Freelancer writing center
There are many academic writing sites on the internet with variable pay rates.
Other forms of writing jobs online.
Apart from article writing and academic writing, you can also find online writing jobs in product reviews, blogs, and content marketing.
Transcription is one of the best online paying jobs in Kenya that involves listening to a recording and writing what is heard as accurately as possible.
In Kenya, this type of online job requires excellent listening skills to enter what the speaker says accurately and fast. Understanding accents is also a vital part of this job due to different accents across the country.
Check out our article on Transcription jobs online.
3. Data Entry
I know some Kenyans who work online by doing data entry jobs. Data entry jobs are a kind of freelancing jobs where you enter information online.
Data entry jobs online require excellent typing skills, good English language proficiency, and patience while handling time-sensitive tasks. If this is a type of online job in Kenya that interests you, then here are some sites where you can find these data entry freelancing jobs:
I don’t recommend this kind of job because the pay is low, and it takes a lot of your time to find real-paying data entry jobs.
4. Web Development
Another popular freelancing job online is web development. The online jobs in Kenya for web development are plentiful though you need to be skilled.
You can get online jobs as a Web Developer by registering on freelancing sites like Freelancer, Upwork, or Peopleperhour. Web developers freelance online mainly because they don’t want to be tied down by anyone but rather enjoy autonomy over their working hours and location.
Recently, a skill in WordPress is becoming more popular.
They also use online jobs in Kenya to find work, and you can register on sites like Freelancer, Upwork, or Peopleperhour.
5. Graphics Design
A graphic designer has many options available online! If you are good at Photoshop or Illustrator, online jobs are just waiting for you!
You can find freelance positions on sites like Freelancer or Upwork. You may also be able to work online by using your Facebook profile and designing graphics from home as a freelancer without the need for previous graphic design experience.
Internet Marketing jobs in Kenya
Another broad category of online jobs in Kenya is Internet marketing. Here you will find jobs like blogging, online marketing, online advertising, and online promotion.
1. Blogging in Kenya
Blogging is one of the best online jobs you will get online. Online blogging jobs in Kenya opens up many opportunities for you to earn money online and get your voice heard online!
If you have the skills, this is one way to make sure you can work in Kenya from home with blogs while being paid.
Here’s how blogging can boost your income:
- You increase visibility by ranking higher on Google search results pages;
- You diversify your income streams through monetizing blog posts where ads generate revenue;
- When people leave comments or answer polls, they’re often querying content that further boosts traffic. They may link back to articles, share them via social media sites like Facebook or Twitter or subscribe directly through RSS feeds, enabling more organic traffic to your blog.
These days you can be a Vlogger and make money online.
If you’re good at creating quality videos and can grow a following on YouTube, this is one of the best online jobs for Kenya that will pay out well in terms of income.
You could also be an online tutor and get paid to help students improve their grades with assignments or revision classes online from home through Skype or other web conferencing software like Google Hangouts. If your qualifications are up-to-par, offering tutoring services is highly recommended as another great way to earn online while working from home in Kenya.
As long as you have an internet connection, the possibilities for making money online during your free time are endless! You might want to promote affiliate products, which means earning commissions online by promoting other people’s products online.
2. Social Media Influencer
These days, being a social media influencer is a very lucrative online job.
Social media influencers have large followers on social media channels, and they often promote brands online in return for payment or free products. To become an online influencer, you need to create content that resonates with your audience and grow your following base to reach a critical mass online. You will also want to ensure the quality of the content is high because low-quality content won’t cut it these days when there’s so much competition online!
Some popular social media platforms where social media influencer thrives are Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tiktok and YouTube.
To become a social media influencer online, you will need to have:
- A wide reach that allows people from all over the world to see your content (i.e., Instagram followers)
- An attractive personality or sense of humor, so online viewers, are entertained by what they see online
- Knowledge about how brands operate online and can communicate with them in their language
3. Digital Marketing Jobs
Digital marketing jobs online have steadily increased in popularity from the early 2000s.
Many businesses today are now running online ads on platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube to promote their products or services because of these three reasons:
- The quality of the content is high because low-quality content won’t cut it these days when there’s so much competition online!
- It allows for customer engagement at all times (i.e., chatbots)
- You can reach a wider audience with less effort than traditional marketing methods like TV, radio, and print advertising.
The online digital marketing skills that are in demand online today include:
- SEO, search engine optimization is a must because it won’t rank as high on the SERPs if you’re not optimizing your website for keywords and phrases. You may be able to get away with this when Google was still running its old algorithms, but now Panda has been updated so that websites that have spammy content or don’t use proper grammar will see their rankings decrease substantially!
- PPC (pay per click) – AdWords is one of the most popular platforms companies use to promote themselves online. The downside? It’s expensive, and there’s no guarantee of getting results either way…
- Email Marketing is an old marketing strategy, but it has seen some success. Many platforms are available to set up email lists and send out emails to subscribers, the most popular being Mailchimp.
- Social Media Marketing – you can do this in various ways; you could set up targeted ads on social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter, try running your blog and post articles about your niche (don’t forget to include links back!)
4. Selling online jobs
Call it e-commerce; this is not the “traditional job,” but if you are looking to work for yourself, then e-commerce is the way to go. The several ways to approach e-commerce are as follows.
- Sell on online marketplaces, such as Jumia, Amazon, or eBay – these sites have a lot of traffic, and you can set your hours.
- Create your online store to sell your goods online – this is a little more work, but you can set your prices and keep the profits.
- Sell digital products online, such as online courses or online coaching.
- Start an affiliate marketing business. This requires less upfront capital than starting your store. Your job would be to promote someone else’s product in exchange for giving you a commission on each sale that comes through from traffic coming from your website. You will need to use various platforms like Amazon Affiliates Program (which works with most stores) or ClickBank Marketplace (more flexible).
Conclusion on online jobs in Kenya
The online world offers many opportunities for people in Kenya to find work and earn a living. There is an online job out there that suits every person, whether it’s full-time or part-time.
You can do many jobs from home without commuting long distances, while other jobs require you to travel because they are location-specific. With online businesses becoming more popular in recent years, this has opened up a new door for entrepreneurs looking for ways to start their own business from home.”