Online jobs in Kenya have become increasingly popular over the last decade. With the advancement of technology, there are now more opportunities than ever to make money from home. Whether you’re looking for a full-time income or supplemental income, plenty of online jobs are available.
This article will give you an overview of the best online jobs in Kenya and how to get started.
One of the great things about finding an online job is that you can often work from anywhere in the country. All you need is a computer and an internet connection. This makes it perfect for people who want to travel or work from home. Additionally, many online jobs offer flexible hours so that you can work around your commitments.
1.2 million Kenyans are working online as of September 2021; this number is set to increase over the years. If you follow this guide, you might be one of these digital workers in Kenya.
Types of online jobs in Kenya
There are three major broad categories of online jobs in Kenya:
- Freelancing Online: Freelancing is a type of work that allows you to be your boss and work independently. Freelancers can work in various industries and fields and often have the flexibility to choose their hours and projects. In some cases, freelancers may also be able to set their rates. It includes; writing, web design, Data entry, Online surveys, Transcribing, Virtual assistance, and so many more.
- Internet Marketing: The world of marketing is constantly evolving, and with the advent of the internet, a new type of marketing has emerged: internet marketing. An internet marketing job involves promoting products or services online, often through social media, blogs, or email campaigns. As the internet becomes increasingly ubiquitous, more and more businesses recognize the importance of an online presence, and internet marketing jobs are in high demand.
- Selling Online: eCommerce is buying or selling products or services over the internet. one can do it through a website or an app. It typically involves using a credit card or other electronic payment method to complete the transaction. It is commonly done through a marketplace like Jumia, Amazon, or your online stores.
So my article will break down the above three major categories to help you find legit online jobs in Kenya.
How do I get started with online work in Kenya?
You might be confused about where to start or what genuine online jobs in Kenya suit you. Don’t worry, and you are not alone. All these people you know or hear working online started somewhere, and I will give you a tip on where to start.
No matter what kind of online job you choose, there are some things you should remember to be successful.
- Working online is a job – It’s difficult to make money on the web because you’re going to have to work just like some employed people.
- Online jobs are for entrepreneurs –To succeed at online jobs in Kenya, you must have entrepreneurial ambition. Think again if you’re thinking of taking an online job as a side hustle.
- Take time to learn – Even if you have a Ph.D., you should take the time to learn about online jobs. Many courses will help you.
- Discipline – To succeed in making money online, you need discipline and patience.
- Quality – Without a doubt, the reliability of these jobs will depend on how clients respond to your work. Good feedback might lead clients to continue using your services; poor feedback may lack clients.
Now that you know what you need let’s go directly to the types of online jobs available.
List of online jobs in Kenya
Here is a list of online jobs available to Kenyans.
Freelance Jobs in Kenya
1. Writing Jobs online in Kenya
One of the best freelance jobs in Kenya, especially those with English or literature qualifications, is writing online. You can do this from anywhere, and many websites will pay you per word written for them. You do not need any qualifications but should have excellent writing skills.
Writing jobs online are classified into many categories, but the most common for Kenyans is, Article writing on Freelancing websites and Academic Writing.
Where to find Article writing Jobs Online:
Article writing online jobs are available on freelancing websites. These websites connect the employer and online workers, matching up those who need content with writers offering their services through an online platform for a fee.
Where to Find Academic Writing jobs online:
Academic online jobs are available on specific freelance websites, and most of the work that employers offer involves writing papers, articles, or essays for them.
Some of the online jobs websites in Kenya include:
- Essay Writers
- Essay Shark
- Freelancer writing center
There are many academic writing sites on the internet with variable pay rates.
Other forms of writing jobs online.
Apart from article writing and academic writing, you can also find online writing jobs in product reviews, blogs, and content marketing.
Transcription converts spoken language into written words. one can use it to create transcripts of speeches, interviews, and other audio recordings.
Transcription is a valuable tool for businesses, journalists, and students who need to capture and store information from audio sources. one can also use it to create subtitles for videos or provide access to audio content for people with hearing impairments.
These services are typically provided by trained professionals who have experience converting audio to text.
Transcription is one of the best online paying jobs in Kenya that requires excellent listening skills to enter what the speaker says accurately and fast. Understanding accents is also a vital part of this job due to different accents.
Check out our article on Transcription jobs online.
3. Data Entry
Freelancing data entry jobs are some of Kenya’s most famous work-from-home opportunities. And it’s no wonder! They offer a flexible way to make some extra money and can be done entirely from the comfort of your own home.
But what exactly is data entry?
In a nutshell, data entry is inputting information into a computer system. This can involve transcribing audio files, typing out handwritten documents, or entering data into online forms.
While it may not be the most exciting work globally, it is often very straightforward and can be a great way to earn some extra cash. And with so many businesses now relying on digital data, there is a growing demand for skilled data entry workers.
So if you have some basic computer skills and are looking for a flexible way to make extra money, then a data entry job could be perfect for you.
Here are some sites where you can find these data entry freelancing jobs:
I don’t recommend this kind of job because the pay is low, and it takes a lot of your time to find real-paying data entry jobs.
4. Web Development
Another popular freelancing job online is web development. The online jobs in Kenya for web development are plentiful though you need to be skilled.
You can get online jobs as a Web Developer by registering on freelancing sites like Freelancer, Upwork, or Peopleperhour. Web developers freelance online mainly because they don’t want to be tied down by anyone but rather enjoy autonomy over their working hours and location.
Recently, a skill in WordPress is becoming more popular.
They also use online jobs in Kenya to find work, and you can register on sites like Freelancer, Upwork, or Peopleperhour.
5. Graphics Design
An online graphic design job involves creating visual concepts using computer software or by hand to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate consumers.
They develop the overall layout and production design for various applications such as advertisements, brochures, magazines, and corporate reports. This field is distinguished from other types of design by its focus on results-driven solutions through creativity, problem-solving abilities, originality, and determination.
Graphic designers must be able to work within the constraints of a budget and a timeframe while delivering high-quality work that meets the client’s objectives.
You can find freelance positions on sites like Freelancer or Upwork. You may also be able to work online by using your Facebook profile and designing graphics from home as a freelancer without the need for previous graphic design experience.
6. Virtual Assistant
A virtual assistant, also known as a VA, is an online, freelance administrative assistant. Virtual assistants are independent contractors who provide a variety of services to their clients, including but not limited to appointment scheduling, bookkeeping, customer service, data entry, email management, internet research, and social media marketing.
VAs typically work remotely from their own homes or offices, allowing them to choose their hours and work around their schedules.
In recent years, the demand for virtual assistants has grown significantly as more businesses are looking for cost-effective ways to outsource their administrative tasks.
If you’re organized, detail-oriented, and have experience with office administration or customer service, working as a virtual assistant might be perfect.
Internet Marketing jobs in Kenya
Another broad category of online jobs in Kenya is Internet marketing. You will find blogging, marketing, advertising, and promotion jobs here.
1. Blogging in Kenya
Blogging is one of the best online jobs you will get online. Online blogging jobs in Kenya open up many opportunities to earn money online and get your voice heard online!
If you have the skills, this is one way to make sure you can work in Kenya from home with blogs while being paid.
Here’s how blogging can boost your income:
- You increase visibility by ranking higher on Google search results pages;
- You diversify your income streams through monetizing blog posts where ads generate revenue;
- When people leave comments or answer polls, they often query content that further boosts traffic. They may link back to articles, share them via social media sites like Facebook or Twitter or subscribe directly through RSS feeds, enabling more organic traffic to your blog.
These days you can be a Vlogger and make money online.
If you’re good at creating quality videos and can grow a following on YouTube, this is one of the best online jobs for Kenya that will pay out well in terms of income.
You could also be an online tutor and get paid to help students improve their grades with assignments or revision classes online from home through Skype or another web conferencing software like Google Hangouts. If your qualifications are up-to-par, offering tutoring services is highly recommended as another great way to earn online while working from home in Kenya.
As long as you have an internet connection, the possibilities for making money online during your free time are endless! You might want to promote affiliate products, which means earning commissions online by promoting other people’s products online.
2. Social Media Influencer
These days, being a social media influencer is a very lucrative online job.
Social media influencers have large followers on social media channels, and they often promote brands online in return for payment or free products. You need to create content that resonates with your audience and grow your following base to reach a critical mass online to become an online influencer. You will also want to ensure the quality of the content is high because low-quality content won’t cut it these days when there’s so much competition online!
Some popular social media platforms where social media influencer thrives are Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tiktok, and YouTube.
To become a social media influencer online, you will need to have:
- A broad reach that allows people from all over the world to see your content (i.e., Instagram followers)
- An attractive personality or sense of humor, so online viewers, are entertained by what they see online
- Knowledge about how brands operate online and can communicate with them in their language
3. Digital Marketing Jobs
Digital marketing jobs online have steadily increased in popularity since the early 2000s.
Many businesses today are now running online ads on platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube to promote their products or services because of these three reasons:
- The quality of the content is high because low-quality content won’t cut it these days when there’s so much competition online!
- It allows for customer engagement at all times (i.e., chatbots)
- You can reach a wider audience with less effort than traditional marketing methods like TV, radio, and print advertising.
The online digital marketing skills that are in demand online today include:
- SEO: Search engine optimization is a must because it won’t rank as high on the SERPs if you’re not optimizing your website for keywords and phrases. You may be able to get away with this when Google was still running its old algorithms, but now Panda has been updated so that websites that have spammy content or don’t use proper grammar will see their rankings decrease substantially!
- PPC (pay per click) – AdWords is one of the most popular platforms companies promote themselves online. The downside? It’s expensive, and there’s no guarantee of getting results.
- Email Marketing is an old marketing strategy, but it has succeeded. Many platforms are available to set up email lists and send out emails to subscribers, the most popular being Mailchimp.
- Social Media Marketing: You can do this in various ways; you could set up targeted ads on social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter, try running your blog and post articles about your niche (don’t forget to include links back!)
4. Selling online jobs
- Sell on online marketplaces, such as Jumia, Amazon, or eBay – these sites have a lot of traffic, and you can set your hours.
- Create your online store to sell your goods online – this is a little more work, but you can set your prices and keep the profits.
- Sell digital products online, such as online courses or online coaching.
- Start an affiliate marketing business. This requires less upfront capital than starting your store. Your job would be to promote someone else’s product in exchange for giving you a commission on each sale from the traffic coming from your website. You will need to use various platforms like Amazon Affiliates Program (which works with most stores) or ClickBank Marketplace (more flexible).
How to get started with online jobs in Kenya
The following tips will help you get started with online jobs:
1. Sign up for an account on any online working platforms
Many online working platforms can help you find the right job for your skills and experience. Signing up for an account is easy and free, and it gives you access to thousands of job postings.
You can search for jobs by keyword, location, or category, and you can save your search results to view later.
You can also set up email alerts to be notified when new jobs are posted that match your criteria.
Finding the perfect freelance job has never been easier with so many options. So what are you waiting for? Sign up today and start your search.
Fill out your profile.
Most people looking for online paying jobs in Kenya make the mistake of not filling out their profiles completely. This is a big mistake because the more information you include in your profile, the better your chances of being hired.
When employers search for freelancers, they will often look at profiles to understand each candidate’s skills and experience. If your profile is incomplete, you tell the employer that you’re not worth their time.
So make sure to take the time to fill out every section of your profile, and include as much information as possible. The effort will pay off in the form of better job opportunities.
Prepare an outstanding cover letter.
One way to make your application stand out is to draft an excellent cover letter. In your cover letter, highlight your relevant skills and experience.
Explain why you are a good fit for the job and interested in the position. Be sure to proofread your letter carefully before sending it off.
With a well-written cover letter, you will be more likely to land the freelance job you’re looking for.
Look for online jobs.
More and more people are looking for online jobs in Kenya using smartphones. With the internet becoming more accessible and the rise of platforms like remote work, there are a lot of opportunities out there.
However, finding the right online job can be a challenge.
Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Start by considering what you’re good at. What skills do you have that could be valuable to an employer? If you’re not sure, take some time to research various online jobs and see what companies are looking for.
- Once you know what kinds of jobs might be a good fit, it’s time to search. Several job search engines can help you find online jobs, or you can check out job postings on online job boards.
- When you find a job that interests you, read the description carefully and make sure you meet all the qualifications.
- Then, follow the instructions for applying.
If you take the time to find the right job and submit a strong application, you’ll be well on your way to landing an online job.
Open a Paypal account.
It is important to have a Paypal account when looking for the best paying online jobs in Kenya. This is because many employers prefer to pay their freelancers through Paypal.
If you don’t have a Paypal account, it’s easy to set one up. All you need is an email address and a credit or debit card.
Keep these tips in mind as you search for online jobs, and you’ll be well on your way to landing the perfect gig. Finding your first job might take some time if you are a newbie. But don’t give up – once you get started, the opportunities will start rolling in.
Conclusion on online jobs in Kenya
The online world offers many opportunities for people in Kenya to find work and earn a living. There is an online job that suits every person, whether full-time or part-time.
You can do many jobs from home without commuting long distances, while other jobs require you to travel because they are location-specific. With online businesses becoming more popular in recent years, this has opened a new door for entrepreneurs looking for ways to start their own business from home.”