Tala app gives you instant loans of up to Ksh 30,000 straight to your M-Pesa account. Tala loan app allows you to know your loan repayment schedule right from the start.
They offer instant mobile loans between the range of Ksh 500 to Ksh. 30,000.
I will take you through how to get started with Tala App in Kenya and how you can get your loan straight to M-Pesa.
If you don’t know, it was formerly called Mkopo Rahisi is one of the fantastic mobile loan apps in Kenya. It was launched in Kenya in 2014 and ever since been helping many Kenyans sort out their financial situations.
How to download Tala Loan App
Follow the following steps to download and install the Tala app to your mobile phone:
- If you are on an android phone, visit Google Play and search for Tala.
- Check the reviews on Google Play, and you will see all the good reviews about this App.
- Download the App, and install it on your smartphone.
- You are now ready to start using and apply for a loan.
How to register on the Tala app
The registration process is simple as there is no Tala loan application form as many think because you do everything on your phone. Check the following Tala Registration process:
- Once you download the application, open it up, and you will be asked to link your mobile number.
- The number will be verified and will register you automatically.
- It will check for information about you on your phone. This information is from your SMS to see how you transact M-Pesa, your income, and other information. It also uses your CRB Status to determine your credit score.
- You are registered and now have an account where you can apply for your loan.
How to apply for a loan on Tala?
Once installed, you have to go through the process to apply for Tala mobile loan application to check if you qualify or not. You will fill in some questions before being granted credit. I find these questions research questions and don’t matter whether you are eligible for your mobile loan or not.
If you find that you don’t qualify, keep trying and let it stay on your phone, don’t uninstall it. If you are eligible, you will get an offer worth the amount you qualify for.
They give you two options for repaying your loan. You can choose to pay after seven days or after 30 days. The longer it takes to pay, the more expenses it will be.
Please choose an option you are comfortable with; I find the seven days so little because time goes quickly.
After you click accept, they will send the money instantly to your M-Pesa account. That answers the question of how long does Tala take to approve a loan?
How do you pay Tala?
After you receive your loan, please make plans to repay it as soon as possible. This is the only way to increase your limit.
The only way to repay is through Safaricom Lipa Na M-Pesa Paybill number 851900. Tala Loan App has advanced the payment process.
- Open the mobile app, and you will see the figure you want to pay.
- Click on MAKE A PAYMENT Text
- Confirm the amount you are to repay
- Click the Submit Payment button, and your M-Pesa will pop up.
- Copy the Paybill Number and paste it into the Mpesa pay bill slot
- Then copy the account number, i.e., your mobile phone number.
- Finally, copy the amount in the amount and make payment.
See the diagram below for Mpesa Repayment.
If you ever encounter a problem with a Tala loan and looking for Tala Contacts, then read on how to contact the team. There might be many reasons why you need to reach Tala Kenya, and here are some of the ways to get in touch with them:
- On the mobile app
- Via SMS
- Social Media
Now let me take you through the above steps of contacting them.
Contacting Tala Using the mobile App
Tala has made the loan app in a way that it is easier to reach them. All you need to do is to log in to the App.
Once logged in, click on the “View FAQs or send us a message” link. Clicking on this link will take you to the FAQs page.
At the bottom of this page, there is a line. Have a question about something? Click on it and a red button with MESSAGE US text written on it. Click on it.
Once clicked, it will open a new page with the title My Tickets Click on the + sign and enter a description (The issue you need to be sorted out).
The best thing is that you can attach screenshots to this section, and they will get back to you.
Contacting Tala through SMS
They have a number that they use to contact you. You can use the same phone number to reach them. Here is the text number they use: 21991
Contacting them through Email
Use the following email address to contact Tala firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contacting them on Social Media
They also have an active social media presence, and you can contact them at any time, and you can get a quick response.
Their Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/talakenya/
and their Twitter account is https://twitter.com/tala_ke
Well, now you have more than one way of contacting them. Please only post on one platform at a time. Wait for a few hours before posting again on another platform. I recommend using the App first.
Other loan apps include:
You can also click to read more about loan apps in Kenya
Tala Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does Tala decide to approve a loan?
Loan decisions are based on lots of information, including income, repayment of the other loans, M-Pesa usage, and additional information.
Tala users provide this information by using the app and filling out a brief survey. Then Tala AI (Artificial intelligence) builds a personal credit profile.
Rejected borrowers are encouraged to keep the app installed & will be contacted to reapply later.
2. What are Tala’s fees and schedules?
Tala does charge a flat service fee for each loan. They provide a 30-day loan with a service fee ranging from 7% and up to 19%. They also offer a 21-day loan with a service fee ranging from 5% up to 14%.
3. How can I reset my PIN?
You can reset your pin by signing into the tala app by clicking “forgot pin.” You may need to enter your National ID number to verify your identity. You will then receive a verification Code on your phone by SMS that you can use to choose a new pin.
4. What do I do if Tala is crashing?
If the app keeps, you may be able to fix it yourself. Head over to Settings > Apps or Application Manager >Tala and click Clear data. If it keeps on crashing again, contact Tala.
5. What does Tala do with the answers borrowers provide in the loan application process?
Tala uses your answers to the loan application questions as one component of determining your credit witness and debt capacity.
6. How much could one qualify for?
The maximum you can qualify for is KES. 30,000
7. Can one use Tala in another language?
Yes! When you log in, tap the menu button at the top right. From there, one can change languages on the next screen.