Types of Motor Insurance Covers in Kenya

Tim Jumah

Have you ever considered buying motor insurance covers in Kenya? As a rule of thumb, anyone who drives a car is at risk of an accident, no matter how careful they are.

It only takes a moment of inattention for an accident to occur, so it makes sense to protect yourself and your car with motor insurance.

There are several different types of motor insurance covers in Kenya that you should know about if you want to be sure that you and your car will be covered in an accident.

The main types include third-party only, third-party fire & theft, and comprehensive.

Also, read; Best Car Insurance Companies in Kenya.

Types of Motor Insurance Covers in Kenya

The following is a list of the different types of cover available:

Third-Party only

Third-Party only is one of the cheapest and most basic levels of insurance cover. Only covers claims made by people/businesses unrelated to you.

The Kenyan law requires that all cars be insured by at least a third-party only, but it is highly recommended that you have complete cover if possible.

You can take out a loan or other finance agreement to pay for your car and the cost of any damage it may have caused in an accident.

If your car is involved in an accident, you could lose your no-claims bonus and have to pay for the damage yourself, even if it isn’t your fault.

When you take out a loan or finance agreement, it must be paid off as soon as possible, so you do not keep making payments on a car you can no longer use.

If your car is insured for third-party only, you won’t be covered if it is stolen or damaged in a fire, for example.

Third-party fire & theft coverage.

Well, If you take out third-party fire & theft coverage, this will cover your vehicle against damage caused by fire and theft.

Many people will opt for this level of cover, but it is usually at the highest price.

It is recommended that this type of motor insurance cover be taken out by anyone with a newer or more valuable vehicle they want to protect.

Third-party fire & theft coverage usually pays out if your car is stolen or damaged by fire, but collision and comprehensive insurance are not included.

Comprehensive coverage

This level of motor insurance will protect you against a more significant number of risks, but it also costs more money. It covers your car for damage caused by accident with another vehicle and damage caused by fire, theft, and collision with an animal, among other things.

With the comprehensive insurance cover, your car will be protected against damage by you (even if it’s your fault) and anyone you permit to drive the vehicle. This could include children or teenagers who live with you, a spouse, or even a houseguest.

Since this type of coverage includes theft, vandalism, and accident-related damage, if someone steals your car, you will be able to get it back.

If the vehicle is damaged by fire or can’t be found, this policy also pays for a hire car while yours is being repaired.


As you can see, several types of motor insurance coverage are available to protect your vehicle and the people and things it may hit in an accident.

Now that you know about the different types of car covers, you can choose which one is right for you and your vehicle.

If you already have a policy in place, check with your insurance provider to see if they offer add-on covers like comprehensive or fully comprehensive coverage so you can decide which gives you the most protection.

To make sure your policy is valid, it is essential to check your insurance documents regularly and always follow company guidelines.

If you need help choosing between different types of coverage or if your current plan isn’t working for you, talk to an agent who specializes in automotive insurance. They can help you find a policy that fits your needs and budget.

Share This Article
Jumah has been a content writer for business and technology topics since early 2019. He has experience in writing and marketing and is dedicated to creating informative and engaging content.