This article will look at how to pay your electricity bill via M-Pesa. You can do this in the comfort of your home or wherever you will be.
You can pay your KPLC postpaid or prepaid bill through your phone conveniently; this process does not require any expertise; we will break down the steps in this article to enjoy this service.
Keeping in mind how hard paying your electricity bills may time be hectic, M-Pesa makes it very easy because chances are wherever you are, you must be with your phone. M-Pesa is an immediate one-time procedure that will save you the hustle of moving to a specified locality to make your payments,
What does KPLC mean?
KPLC stands for Kenya Power and Lighting Company.
KPLC is well known as Kenya Power, and it deals mainly with the distribution of electricity and transmission around Kenya. The company serves approximately 6.2 million clients.
As any other company Kenya Power has its vision and mission, we will outline them below;
MISSION: powering people to better lives
VISION: To provide a world-class power that delights our customers
With the help of M-Pesa, you no longer need to spend much time in queues at Kenya Power offices to pay your power bills. This article will enlighten you on the method of using M-Pesa and additional convenient ways to pay for your bills at the convenience of your home.
The KPLC paybill number for postpaid customers is 888888 and for prepaid customers is 888880
How to pay your postpaid Electricity Bill with M-Pesa (Safaricom)
The following is a procedure on how to make payment for a postpaid electricity bill with M-Pesa
- Select “Pay Bill” from the M-Pesa menu.
- Key in the Kenya Power business number 888 888.
- Enter your new Kenya Power account number, e.g., 123456.
- Put the amount you wish to pay, which should be between Shs. 100 and Shs.35,000.
- Enter your M-Pesa PIN.
- Confirm that all details are correct.
- You will receive a confirmation of the transaction via SMS.
Buying KPLC Prepaid Tokens via M-PESA Paybill Number 888880
How do you purchase prepaid tokens using M-Pesa?
- Go to Safaricom SIM Tool Kit, select M-PESA menu, select “Lipa na M-PESA“
- Select “Pay Bill“
- Next, Select “Enter Business no.“ Enter KPLC’s Lipa na M-PESA PayBill Number 888880 and press “OK.”
- Select “Enter Account no.“, Enter your KPLC Prepaid Meter Number (e.g., 0100 XXXX XXXX x) press “OK.”
- Enter Amount“between KSh100 and 35,000 and press “OK.”
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and press “OK.”
- Confirm all the details are correct and press “OK.”
- M-PESA HAKIKISHA, You will get a notification with the intended recipient’s name, e.g., “Pay Kenya Power KSh1,000.00 for Account ####### Press 1 within 25 seconds to STOP this transaction.” Enter “1” and press Send within 25 seconds to stop a wrong transaction. Pressing “Cancel” will complete the transaction.
- You will receive a confirmation SMS from M-PESA.
- KPLC will generate a prepaid token valid for your meter and send it via SMS.
Apart from the above methods, there are also substitute techniques to pay for your electricity bill, and we can perhaps discuss them briefly.
The laws of KPLC outline that all cash payments are supposed to be made at recognized Kenya Power pay points; Kenya Power verifies these pay points.
If you have an account with a post bank, cooperative bank, or standard chartered bank, you may enjoy paying your bills automatically through their teller machines.
You may write a cheque to KPLC and deposit them to designated centers that have been appointed by Kenya Power to serve as cheque dropping points.
Over the counter payment
All clients of Kenya power can pay their bills by cash in any equity bank branches across the country, and the payment will be reflected in your electricity account on the same day.
If you possess an account with the cooperative bank, you can wire your bill using your phone; you must be registered with the bank for M-Banking services to qualify for this service.
From the information above, we can conclude that making electricity payments using M-Pesa is more advantageous, and this is due to the factors like;
- There will be no need for you to stand in queues for long hours
- You enjoy cashback for paying using M-Pesa
- You won’t have to visit an M-Pesa agent to withdraw cash.