Safaricom Lipa Mdogo Mdogo offers phone financing to customers who want to own a smartphone. The phone financing service allows customers to pay for the phone daily, weekly or monthly installments.
Initially, Safaricom was only offering basic phones on the platform, but they have added more expensive phones over time.
Safaricom has partnered with Google, Itel, and Tecno to provide expensive phones that were not available before.
What is Safaricom Lipa Mdogo Mdogo?
Who qualifies for the service?
The service is available to prepaid customers. However, you need to dial *544# to check your eligibility. However, there are some general qualifications such as:
- You should not be listed in CRB
- You should be at least 18 years and not more than 75
- You have a 2G or 3G phone currently
- You should have used Safaricom for at least one year
If you qualify for the service, you will receive an SMS to confirm—Rember to read the terms and conditions before proceeding with the transaction.
Which phones can you get through Safaricom Lipa Mdogo Mdogo?
- Neon ray with a deposit of Ksh 500
- iTel A24 down payment of Ksh 500
- Tecno Spark 7 down payment of Ksh 3000
- Tecno Camon 17 down payment of Ksh 3000
The daily payments can be as low as Ksh 20 per day. It comes down to your flexibility and the mode of payment that you want to use. You can choose to pay for the phone daily, weekly, or monthly.
How does the process work?
The first step is to get approved for Lipa Mdogo Mdogo. Once approved and eligible for the service, you need to walk to any Safaricom shop to choose your ideal phone. After finding the phone you want, you will be required to pay the deposit.
The amount you pay for the deposit will depend on the type of phone that you want to buy. So far, the cheapest phone requires a deposit of Ksh 500. You will be given the phone, and after that, you can choose your preferred repayment method depending on your lifestyle.
You must make your payments on time because failure to do that, the phone will be disabled, and you will not be able to use it. You will also be listed to CRB if you do not make the repayments on time.
Is Lipa Mdogo Mdogo worth it?
This is a phone financing service, so it is an excellent choice for those without enough cash to buy a phone. Like all other financing options, it has its ups and downs.
The upside of using Lipa Mdogo Mdogo
Here are some reasons to use Lipa Mdogo Mdogo:
- Easy way to upgrade your phone – You do not have to wait until you save enough money to own a phone. It takes less than a day to have a phone.
- Flexible payment – You can choose your ideal payment style depending on your needs. They have daily, weekly, or monthly payment options.
- Gifts after purchase – After purchasing the phone, you are eligible for a 1 Gb free bundle and 100MB free YouTube.
- Genuine phones that you can trust – Safaricom is known for prioritizing quality to ensure that you are buying a good quality phone with a year warranty.
Downsides of Lipa Mdogo Mdogo
The price of phones is higher than the market price. For instance, when you buy Neon Ray through Lipa Mdogo Mdogo, the price is Ksh 6500, but you can get it at other places for Ksh 5000.
You do not own the phone until you make your last payment. During the repayment period, the phone remains the property of Safaricom, so they can lock it whenever you delay the payments.
You will continue making payments as usual even when the phone gets stolen, but you have to notify Safaricom that the phone has been stolen.
You can only get with the specific types of phones offered by Safaricom. You do not have the freedom to choose any other phone you want apart from the phones listed.
You cannot pay the Lipa Mdogo Mdogo loan with fuliza. You have to receive the money or deposit it into your M-Pesa account to make payments.