Are you looking for a safari company to take you on an amazing Kenyan adventure?
You’ve come to the right place! We know that choosing a safari company can be overwhelming, especially if this is your first time. That’s why we created this guide – so that you can make the best decision possible when it comes to booking your trip.
Many companies out there, but not all of them offer the same quality of service or experience. This guide will help you understand what makes a great safari company and which features are most important for your next Kenyan adventure. With our help, choosing between them won’t be so hard!
What is a safari company, and what does it do?
Many people believe that a safari company is just one big bus taking tourists from place to place, but this couldn’t be further from the truth! In fact, there are many different types of companies out there offering a wide range of services.
Some of the most common types include:
Tour companies – These are responsible for planning and organizing your trip. They book all the activities you will do, including safaris, tours, and transfers between destinations. At their core, they provide general travel services such as booking accommodations, planning excursions and providing advice about logistics.
Inbound companies are similar to tour companies, but they also offer package deals that include all your activities and accommodations. They usually work with a range of accommodation providers, restaurants and other businesses to provide a complete experience for their clients.
Outbound companies – Unlike inbound companies, these offer trips from outside the country. Many of them specialize in East Africa safaris, but some also focus on South and West African options.
Specialist companies – These work with a specific group of tourists. For example, some companies only arrange family holidays, honeymoons or female-only tours.
Specialist tourism boards – The Kenyan Tourism Board is an example of a company that falls under this category. These are government-operated services which aim to give tourists more information about the country they are visiting. The Kenyan Tourism Board, for example, provides practical information, e.g., entry requirements, destination guides and general advice on preparing for your trip.
How to choose the right safari company for you
Choosing a company can be overwhelming, especially if this is your first time. That’s why it’s important to do some research ahead of time to make the process easier.
There are several factors you should consider when choosing between safari companies, including:
- Cost – How much will your trip cost? Do they fit into your budget? How does the price compare to other options on the market?
- Location – Where are they based? Do they offer trips to multiple destinations? This might help you save money on transfers and accommodation if their base location is closer to where you are planning to go.
- Destination expertise – Look for companies that have in Kenya or one of the countries you are visiting. This way, they’ll be able to offer more personal advice about your specific destination, which can make a big difference in your overall experience.
- Quality of safaris – What is included in their safari package? How many hours per day are spent looking for wildlife? Are there extra activities included, e.g., cultural tours?
- Accommodation – Where will you be staying during your Kenyan adventure? Look for companies with high-quality accommodations providers that meet certain standards, e.g., the minimum number of stars.
- Duration of tours – How long will your trip last? Do you need transfers between destinations? Can you get from your airport location all the way to your final destination in one day, or do you need night stops during the journey?
- Several travellers – Are you going on a family trip or a solo adventure? This will help you choose between inbound and outbound companies, which have a different minimum number of passengers requirements.
- Language – Do the company employees speak the language that is most common in your country? It’s important to choose a service that can communicate with you easily, especially if you need assistance.
- In addition, it’s essential to look for safari companies that are well established, experienced and reputable. These include: – Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) approved tour operators- KRA license holders – Tourist Board of Kenya, licenced tour operators – Hotel brands which also operate tours e .g., Sarova Hotels & Lodges. There are many benefits to choosing a company with these credentials. For instance, you can expect them to offer high standards of customer service and quality. They’ll provide more comprehensive tour packages, which cover tours that match your needs, budget and preferences.
It’s important to note that some tour companies place more emphasis on specific activities than others. Horseback riding and boat cruises are common activities offered by some safari companies, while others don’t include them at all. Try not to make assumptions based on company names; for example, “Ultimate Kenya Safaris” does not necessarily offer boat rides along the Mara River!