Are you looking to transfer your vehicle online on the NTSA TIMS portal? If so, you’ve come to the right place. In this blog post, we will walk you through transferring a vehicle online using the NTSA TIMS system. So without further ado, let’s get started!
How to Transfer a Vehicle on NTSA TIMS
Follow these steps to transfer a vehicle online on the NTSA TIMS website.
NTSA TIMS Account Registration
Follow the following steps to register your Transport Integrated Management System(TIMS) details.
Both the Buyer and Seller need to register an account on TIMS to transfer the Motor Vehicle. Both need to subscribe to the SMS service.
If you have an eCitizen account, click on sign in with eCitizen to log in using your eCitizen account; otherwise, follow the below steps to register.
- Follow this link to go directly to the NTSA web portal.
- Click on the “Subscribe SMS” menu located at the top right-hand side of your screen to receive a security code and other notifications during the Motor vehicle transfer process.
- Enter your phone number and click the subscribe button, followed by the “Proceed to Register an Account” button.
- Select whether you want to register as a dealer, an individual, a financial institution, or a company.
- Under “Register account Menu,” enter your details and follow the prompts to complete your registration.
- Bingo! You can now sign in to your account using the login details provided. I.e., the ID number for individuals and username/ or certificate of incorporation for companies.
- Input the verification code sent to your mobile phone via SMS in the fields provided.
Transfer of Car Ownership
The Seller Procedure – Transfer of Vehicle Ownership
- Click on the Vehicle Registration button and then “Apply for Transfer of Ownership” to access the Transfer menu.
- Select the “Create New” button and enter the vehicle’s registration number you want to transfer.
- Click view to see the vehicle’s particulars and then upload a scanned copy of the logbook.
- Under “New Vehicle Owner,” select the individual/non-Individual/financier and then enter the buyer’s detail.
- For Individuals, enter the National/Alien ID and PIN, while for company/financial institutions, enter the PIN and click on the Add Button.
- Go to Security Verification, select mobile phone, and click “Send verification code.”
- Enter the verification code sent to your number and check the “Disclaimer” displayed.
Buyer’s Procedure- Acceptance/Decline of Ownership
Once the Seller submits their request, the buyer will receive an SMS notification to accept the vehicle transferred. The buyer, therefore, needs to log into his NTSA TIMS account to either accept or decline the transfer.
- Click on the ACCEPT OWNERSHIP button, enter the registration number, then click on inquire, followed by the view button to see the vehicle’s particulars.
- Under the security verification menu, select the verification mode as mobile and click the send button to the buyer’s phone.
- Enter the verification code received in the field provided and choose to accept or decline the transfer
- If you ACCEPT, proceed to fill out all the details required, then click on the submit button for the information to be sent to NTSA for processing and issuing a logbook within seven(7) working days.
NOTE: NTSA will process your logbook in fourteen working days, and you need to surrender the old logbook while collecting the new one.
Verification of NTSA documents via SMS
You can verify the following NTSA documents via the NTSA USSD shortcode 22846
- Road Service Licence (RSL)
- Driving License
- Sacco and PSV Licenses
- Motor vehicle inspection details
Services Found On NTSA TIMS Portal
The following services are currently available on the new platform’s NTSA web portal.
- Vehicle inspection
- Duplicate Logbook application
- Car Registration
- Change of particulars
- Reflective Number Plate application
- Transfer of car ownership and
- Online car searches using either the registration number or the chassis number.
|VEHICLE CAPACITY||NTSA PAYMENTS in Ksh|
|0 – 1000cc||2160.00|
|1001 – 1200cc||2390.00|
|1201 – 1500cc||2565.00|
|1501 – 1700cc||2910.00|
|1701 – 2000cc||3195.00|
|2001 – 2500cc||4345.00|
|2501 – 3000cc||5555.00|
|3001cc – and above||6415.00|
|Trailer less than four wheels||1530.00|
|A trailer with four wheels or more||2390.00|
|Motor Cycle / Three Wheeler||1530.00|
|Discharge and Transfer of Ownership||625.00|